Earth Day is April 22, and it is a time to celebrate our planet, and reflect on our opportunities for reducing our environmental impact. Here are 5 simple things you can do to reduce your impact:
- Reduce your car use: opt to walk, bike or carpool instead of driving
- Shop for items with less packaging: look for bulk pantry goods and fresh fruits and veggies that come without packaging. For your fridge, opt for items packaged in paper, glass or returnable packaging.
- Bring your reusables: bring your reusable bag, coffee cup and mug with you wherever you go
- Shop pre-loved: look for clothes, furniture and toys that are pre-loved from thrift or vintage stores, or Facebook marketplace or Craigslist
- Shop + support local businesses: support local farmers, shops and makers in your local community
Take the month to do a little more reading and learning about Earth Day, or attend an event that will help ignite some sustainable changes in your life.
Here are two event opportunities our Better Basics team is hosting in the Vancouver area for Earth Month:
April 19 - Let's Talk About Impact - a conversation and networking event about adopting more sustainable practices in your work + life. In partnership with Werklab.
Apr 22 - YYOGA Yoga Class, by donation to SPEC.